Participants seeking recognition of successful completion of the Foundations of Directorship program may choose to complete the online assessment to gain the Foundations of Directorship Certificate.
Participants having successfully completed the Foundations of Directorship and attained the Certificate can record it on their CV as:
Australian Institute of Company Directors, Foundations of Directorship Certificate (insert year of completion).
Undertaking the assessment and certification may attract an additional fee. Further information is available from our National Assessment team via email or +61 2 8248 6600.
Completion of the Foundations of Directorship Certificate may be appropriate preparation for the Company Directors Course but is not a pre-requisite.
Participants who complete the Foundations of Directorship Certificate are not eligible for credit towards completion of the Company Directors Course
Registering for the online examination
Q: What is my login? I have not received my login details yet, what are they?
A: Once the exam registration is completed (which takes between 2–3 days of the invigilator nomination form being received) you will have access to both the practice questions and exam via our website.
Q: Who can be my invigilator?
A: The criteria for an invigilator are listed on the invigilator nomination form. The duties of the invigilator are as follows:
- Ensure the room is clear of materials. This includes mobile phones.
- Check the computer meets all technical requirements.
- Provide a non-programmable calculator.
- Once the candidate is logged into their account, enter the PIN code to enable access to the exam content. By doing this you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the exam.
- Ensure the candidate downloads and prints off a copy of the financial statements once the candidate is logged in.
- Keep track of time to ensure the candidate is only allocated the allowed time for the exam.
- Enter the PIN code at the point of exam submission. By doing this you are agreeing that the terms and conditions of the exam have been met.
- Destroy ALL materials the candidate used during the exam i.e. financial statements, rough workings etc.
Q: I am not able to find a suitable invigilator - what are the alternatives?
A: We may be able to provide exam supervision. Please contact your State office for more information.
Q: What are the terms and conditions to be agreed to for the exam?
A: The terms and conditions are as follows:
- The examination is to be completed solely by the candidate.
- At the designated time, the testing room is to be cleared of books and other materials that could be used by the candidate. The only materials candidates are permitted to use are: a copy of the financial statements which can be downloaded for the candidate prior to the commencement of the exam, and a non programmable battery operated calculator.
- Invigilator to have a line of sight of the candidate at all times.
- Calculators with alpha keyboards and calculator functions on mobile phones are not to be used in the examination.
- The PIN code sent to the invigilator is not to be revealed to any other party, including the candidate.
Preparing for the online examination
Q: Can I sit the examination in Government offices and schools?
A: In many Government Departments and schools fire walls may impact the log in and access to the external examination site. To test if you are able to log in and access the exam please attempt the practice questions. If this provides access, it is most likely the examination will also be accessible.
Q: Is there a trial paper to prepare with? When do I get access to the practice questions? Where do I go to access the practice questions?
A: There is no trial paper as such but a set of practice questions are available to complete if desired. These questions are not intended to test your competency in the subject but are designed to give you a flavour for the layout and functionality of the exam. You will be given access once you register for the exam. The purpose of the practice questions is to give you a “look and feel” for the online exam; it should not be used as a measurement of preparedness for the exam.
The practice questions should be used for:
- Familiarising yourself with the online exam application
- Ascertaining the compatibility of your machine with the online exam application
Q: Do I get feedback after completing the practice questions?
A: Indicative answers are provided for the multiple choice questions.
Q: Can I access the practice questions more than once?
A: Yes, you can attempt them more than once.
Setting up for the online examination
Q: Can I use a wireless internet connection?
A: Yes, wireless internet connection can be used however it should be capable of maintaining a continued and consistent connection throughout the entire duration of the exam.
Q: Where do I find the financials? Will time taken to download the financials impact the exam timer?
A: There is a link to download the financial statements on the examination instruction page once the candidate is logged in by the invigilator. Downloading the financial statements does not start the exam and therefore will not affect the status of the exam timer.
Q: Does my computer need to be connected to a printer?
A: Yes, you will need a printer to print the financials.
Notification of the results
Q: When do I get my results?
A: We advise grades by mail after the assessment task has been sucessfully completed. Our typical turnaround time for assessment receipt, marking and administration is four weeks. Should you be required to resit any section we will advise you by email and mail.
Q: Can you check if my exam has been received and when will I receive notification of results?
A: Your exam is received electronically and then sent to external assessment markers for marking. If a resit is required, you will be informed in writing of the outcome within 4 weeks. Otherwise you will only receive notification when the exam has been marked.
Q: What marks do I need to pass and do I get a mark or a grade?
A: The exam pass grade is 65%. Results are reported as a grade only (Pass/Not Yet Complete). Actual marks and completed assessments are not returned to the candidate.
Q: How many opportunities are there to resit? Is coaching available to me if I am asked to resit?
A: You will only be provided with one opportunity to resit. There is no coaching available however the areas to assist your preparation will be included in the letter advising of the outcome.
Q: How long do I have to complete the assessment? Can I request an extension?
A: All Foundations of Directorship participants will be required to submit assessment tasks within 2 years of completing the first Foundations of Directorship course. There is no opportunity for an extension.
Q: What modules are assessable?
A: All module content is assessable.