A selection of recent media items mentioning our organisation
Directors' Sentiment Index
The second-half results of our biannual survey, the Directors' Sentiment Index, received wide media coverage in print, broadcast, and online, including:
- A four-page lift-out in The Australian Financial Review on 16 November 2011;
- Annabel Hepworth's articles 'Business blames Labor for economic malaise' and 'Rulings, laws scare directors off boards', The Australian, 16 November 2011;
- Further print articles in The Sydney Morning Herald, Herald Sun, Courier Mail, Brisbane Times, Gold Coast Bulletin, and Daily Telegraph;
- Broadcast coverage including Sky Business News, ABC radio syndicates, 2GB, and 4CA; and
- Online coverage including ninemsn, CFO World, Sky News and SBS.
Our response to the Senate Standing Committee on Economics’ inquiry into the Tax Laws Amendment (2011 Measures No. 8) Bill 2011 was reported by:
Tasmanian Health Organisations
Our submission to the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services regarding the Tasmanian Health Organisations Bill was reported in The Hobart Mercury and Launceston Examiner on 8 November 2011.
Directors Social Impact Study
The Directors Social Impact Study, launched in September 2011, examines the contribution of directors to Australia's not-for-profit sector. The study received print, broadcast and online coverage, including:
Diversity book launch
The launch of our publication Tomorrow's Boards: Creating Balanced and Effective Boards received wide coverage in print, broadcast and online media:
- An article by Drew Cratchley of AAP appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald (online), The Age (online), Kalgoorlie Miner and the Townsville Bulletin on 10 August 2011.
- Emily Parkinson's article 'Senior exec posts still a male bastion' in The Australian Financial Review on 10 August 2011.
- Opinions of Company Directors’ members, like David Gonski, Kevin McCann and Belinda Hutchinson featured in the bulletins on ABC radio and television station ABC 1.
- An in-depth interview with the publication’s author Anthea McIntyre was broadcast on Radio National’s Life Matters on 9 August 2011.
Our CEO, John Colvin, wrote an op-ed forThe Australian on 13 July 2011 regarding the implications of the Federal Court ruling over eight current and former directors of Centro Property Group.
Our comments in response to the release of the 2nd annual progress report from the COAG Reform Council were reported by David Crowe and John Kehoe in The Australian Financial Review on 11 February 2011. ‘COAG falls behind on key economic priorities’ (AFR log-in required).
Bill on director and executive remuneration
Our disappointment with the Bill governing executive remuneration was reported:
- In The Australian Financial Review on 24 February 2011 in an article by Patrick Durkin, 'Shareholders back executive pay changes'; and
- On Radio National Breakfast on 24 February 2011 in a report by Sheryle Bagwell.
Our concerns regarding the draft Bill were reported:
- In BRW on 9 February 2011 in an article by Andrew Heathcote, 'Executive Pay on the Money';
- On Sky Business News, Trading Day, on 31 January 2011;
- InThe Australian Financial Review on 28 January 2011 in an article by Patrick Durkin, 'Directors warn on pay'; and
- InThe Australian on 29 January 2011 in an article by Katherine Jimenez, ‘Crackdown on exec pay flawed, says AICD’.
When the Exposure Draft of the Bill was released, our spokesman said the organisation remained unconvinced that the two-strikes rule is "workable, warranted or desirable”. Govt unveils draft bill on exec pay, The Herald Sun, 21 December 2010.
Many of our members believe governments are now far more intrusive and interfering in the workings of businesses, our CEO John Colvin told The Australian in an interview with Damon Kitney. Bosses attack populist agenda, The Australian, 31 December 2010
Underlying Profit reporting
The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) has reviewed the quality of the disclosures contained in the annual reports of 50 of the top 200 listed companies (ASIC results). We have previously issued Underlying Profit reporting guidelines. Companies 'hide bad news', says ASIC, The Australian, 28 December 2010
James Hardie NSW Court of Appeal Decisions
Our CEO, John Colvin spoke with James Eyers of The Australian Financial Review following the NSW Court of Appeal’s decision to exonerate the non-executive directors of James Hardie. ‘Court rebukes ASIC over James Hardie case’, 18-19 December 2010 (AFR subscription required). See our Alert and media release on the judgement (members only)
Board Ready Program
Our new programBoard Ready - which is aimed at preparing highly talented executives for directorship roles - received media coverage:
- In The Australian Financial Review on 16 February in an article by Mark Fenton-Jones, 'Leadership program fast-tracks top executives to the boardroom'
- On Sky Business News' The Perrett Report program on 17 February, in a panel discussion with our CEO John Colvin,as well as program participants Merran Dawson, Partner, PWC and Sarvjit Girn, CTO, The Westpac Group.
- In The Australian Financial Review on 16 February in an article by Joanna Mather, 'Companies on board for female push'.
Women on Boards
Four recipients of our Board Diversity scholarships were profiled by Teresa Ooi in The Australian when we announced the winners of the 70 available scholarships. ‘Women groomed in art of smashing glass ceilings’, The Australian, 25 January 2011
We welcomed a year of improvement in board diversity in November 2010.
Corporate cultural shift brings women on board, The Australian, 25 November 2010